Monday, September 1, 2008

...had we not ended up in the ER


Day 13 -- I wish I could tell you that I twisted my ankle climbing a particularly hard part of Camelback mountain, but the truth is that I turned it walking down the steps from the parking lot on my way to the trail head. Sigh...

Now, I've turned my right ankle before, but never before had I heard such a LOUD popping sound as I did that day. I was sure I had broken it. Adam helped me up and somehow got me back to the car. Even though Aaron was working, he had his cell phone on him and he helped direct Adam to the Scottsdale hospital.

All I can say is, if I had to twist my ankle on the trip, Scottsdale was the place to do it. The Emergency Room staff was fabulous and had me in and out in two hours. (Side note: A year and a half ago Adam sat in the OSU ER waiting room for 4 hours with a collapsed lung before they finally took him back for an X-ray!)

As it turns out, my ankle was not broken but badly sprained. The doctor informed me that the loud popping sound was my tendon sliding over my ankle bone. (gross!)

The best part of the story? My ER doc was a buckeye! She was fantastic and of course we talked football a bit. When I flat out refused to wear the recommended walking boot and pop the recommended vicodin, she said "Now that's my kind of girl!" I left the hospital with an air cast and a promise to ice my ankle.

No comments: